Monday, December 31, 2012

Graves

 First we went to Manila Memorial Park to my grandparents' graves (technically a mausoleum - a lot of people build little houses to house the bodies. Some even have air conditioning and plumbing). I remember coming here with all my relatives once when I was young, and we spent all day burning incense.




The Aquinos (famous politicians in the Philippines) are three mausoleums away from us, just around the corner. Theirs was simple and classy.




The American Cemetery was next. More than 53 000 Americans and Filipinos who were killed in Manila and the surrounding areas during World War II are interned/memorialized in this cemetery. Crosses upon crosses (and the occasional star of David) line the hills surrounding the buildings, symbolizing those who had died.

I didn't even know this place existed until my sister's fiance, who is travelling with us, told us that it is the number one tourist attraction on trip advisor!



















No comments:

Post a Comment