Sunday, May 30, 2010

150: MADAMA BUTTERFLY

I went to the opening night of Puccini's Madama Butterfly with Giosy and Miranda tonight. The music was beautiful, but I think I ate too much for dinner because I kept nodding off during the first act. The ending was well done - very dramatic and tragic. I just wish operas weren't so slow and had more action in them. It takes them 10 minutes to sing something that would take me two sentences to say!

The lesson I have taken away from Madama Butterfly is: If you're an Asian woman, do not trust or marry a white man, because he will leave you for a white woman, and they will take your mixed child away from you.

3 comments:

  1. GLORIOUS summary! especially how they'll steal my mixed children away...the damn Americans.

    Ohh and THAT IS A COOL PICTURE YOU HAVE THERE. Giosy will be most jealous I've only commented on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your hypothesis but would like to think my dad is the exception to the rule.

    And I am indeed most jealous. I cannot believe I have been supplanted.

    The second act was the yawner for me. Especially the end of the first scene and...90% of the second scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, this reminds me of the time when Achu said that white men take his women away from him. It has no correlation with this...just the taking away bit! Brings a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete