Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Birthday Weekend

I didn't really want to plan anything for my birthday this year, so Patrick suggested that maybe we could go climbing for that weekend.  It seemed like fun, especially since I haven't gone outdoor climbing this summer yet, so Patrick, Anna, and I headed down to Kelowna to stay with Bryan for the weekend.  It was cool because I learned so much on the weekend. I lead climbed and did a multi pitch for the first time, and did some fun rappelling as well!

Anna and I always match when we climb - white Aritzia sweaters, Lululemon leggings, Camp helmets.
At the Hall of Thieves (Lonely Crag)


View of the vineyards and Lake Okanagan from the top of the climb at Mt Boucherie. Gorgeous!



On Sunday, Patrick and I went to Skaha (Penticton) which is a climbing haven... it is usually packed but there was no one around that day because it was the day of the Ironman triathlon. This was our big adventure day.


We met a couple from Vancouver who we ended up climbing with for the rest of the day. They were insistent on doing a climb which no one wanted to lead, so they said we could just hike off-trail and set up an anchor from the top. So we went on this hike up to the top of the bluffs, looked around for safe points to set up an anchor, and then rappelled down 30 metres with all our gear onto a little ledge because our rope wasn't long enough to reach all the way to the ground.  It was crazy how quiet it was. No sounds but nature. There were absolutely no other people around!

View from the top of the bluffs:

Anthony getting ready to rappel down:

Michelle on her way down:

We set up our belay station on this ledge:

Anthony happened to be rappelling down beside me as I was climbing, so he whipped out his SLR and gave me a little climbing photoshoot!




Later that night, I drank my tea as I watched Bryan and Patrick make a cake.


Then they sang happy birthday!

View from Lonely Boy:

View of the lake as I finished my lead climb!

I definitely need new shoes now.


 I have to say, this birthday weekend was hard to beat!


5 comments:

  1. Yay! No drink and climb :) Sounds like you had an awesome birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe i did do some wine tasting in between climbing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, reading your latest 3 blog entries today was exactly like what you showed me and talked about yesterday! I love your twin picture and I'm glad you had such an awesome birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, We are wondering if we could use a small thumbnail of your photo at the top of Mt Boucherie for a website we are building for UBC. It would live in a section called "What to do in the Okanagan" and would be 100 x 75 pixels (small). Please email makecontact@makeisawesome.com and let us know if we have your permission to use your photo. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete