Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Albi

I am not usually a big fan of churches, because they all look the same to me. I've been to tons of them in Italy, and while impressive on their own, they tend to blur into each other. The Albi Cathedral, on the other hand, is my favourite church ever, hands down. I was in awe the whole time I was inside the building.

It is made almost entirely of brick, and the Michelin guide gave the interior rood screen itself three stars and two pages of description. I had no idea what a rood screen was before I got there, but when I saw it, I knew it was definitely worth the three stars. The wood was so intricately carved that it resembled lace. The interior walls and the ceiling were painted beautifully. It was the longest I had ever been in a cathedral and enjoyed it; in fact, I could have spent longer in there, just looking. It really made an impression on me.










No comments:

Post a Comment