Wednesday, September 29, 2010

272: REBELLION

It's interesting: when a band you are a fan of is not well known, you want them to become famous because of their talent. But once the band becomes big, they start to play arenas and you just don't get the same intimate experience live...

Arcade Fire played at a sold-out Pacific Coliseum today. Last time I saw them, they were at the PNE forum (where I saw Phoenix; see day 270) and it was all general admission. This time, the general admission tickets were gone in a snap, so we had to get actual seats. I haven't had a seat at a concert in many many years, since I am used to smaller venues that are general admission. I'm used to standing and waiting in line for doors to open, standing and waiting near the stage for the show to start (meaning that I can't go to the washroom since I would lose my spot, and therefore meaning that I can't drink water, which leads to me being incredibly thirsty), standing and waiting through the opening set, being pushed around and struggling to see through all the tall people's heads - it is just all very uncomfortable.  But usually they are worth it in the end - it is a greatly different experience from being at a seat on the side.

The concert was amazing. Arcade Fire is one of my favourite bands. I was jealous of all the people on the floor who were jumping and fist pumping, and I wanted to be one of them. For some reason, my row was full of older people...but I decided, screw it, I'm going to fist pump! And so there I was, fist pumping to Wake Up, with a bunch of older people standing beside me (none of who joined in the fist pumping).

And now I have concert withdrawal.

No comments:

Post a Comment