Friday, March 18, 2011

76: SAYONARA

It was my last day in Japan. Before I split up with the others, we headed down this street one more time for lunch. I was sad to say goodbye to my friends and to this awesome country, but I wanted to escape the radiation from the north!

Making takoyaki
I'll miss you Japan, with your wonderful people and technology and heated toilets. Most of all, I will miss your food: your mochi, ramen, udon, rice balls, bento boxes, pon de ringu, red bean, takoyaki, okonomiyaki, yakitori, tempura, karaage, gyoza, crepes, sushi, earl grey soy milk, jellies, champon, and soba. Cheese and mochi wrapped in bacon, deep fried cartilage. Avocado, pork, and cheese rolls...

I'll be back one day, because I'm not done with you yet. I still have to see the cherry blossoms in the spring, climb Mt Fuji with an oxygen tank, brave the Yakushima rainforest to see the ancient trees (2000 - 7200 years old!), sunbathe in the Okinawa beaches, eat kobe beef in Kobe, and bid for tuna at the Tsukiji fish market. Sumimasen!

Goodbye, sayonara - although I never heard anyone actually say this word while I was in Japan.

2 comments:

  1. EARL GREY SOY MILK?!?!? Can we go to Japan together one day? I want to eat all of the things you listed!

    ReplyDelete