Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sailing the RS 500


Peter had been promising to take me sailing ever since I met him. We've had very many attempts to do it, but our plans kept getting foiled by weather/work/time restraints. Today I ended up getting home from work two hours earlier than planned, so he decided last minute to go home early and to take me sailing. It was the perfect day to do it. Light winds meant that he could teach me what I needed to do easily.

He originally planned on taking me on a catamaran, which is a more stable boat, but when I asked him what his favourite and most fun boat to sail was, he pointed at the RS500. He said it was fun but there was a very high chance of us capsizing, because it requires a lot of balance. I was all for it. I mean, I had a life vest and a wet suit anyway. I got to control the spinnaker and the jib, and constantly had to shift my weight as the boat tipped from one side to another. He freaked me out when he told me he had gotten the ropes crossed and needed to do an "emergency procedure". "You have to be in charge of steering now as I fix this. Make sure you steer it correctly, because if you don't, the sails will billow out and we will capsize," he warned me. So I tried steering, and we kept going the wrong way, and I heard him muttering, "This isn't a good idea. I don't think this will work." I was so tense as he fixed the ropes because I was so worried I would cause the boat to tip over! But it was alright in the end. He fixed it, and I had a ton of fun. Now I want to go out with high winds! Apparently it's much much more exciting when it's a windy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment