Thursday, October 21, 2010

295: INTO THE FOG

I couldn't decide which I liked better between the above two pictures. I liked the framing of the red building in the first one (but it ends up being more cluttered), and I liked the clean lines in the second picture.

I took the ferry to Nanaimo in the morning. It was a nice, clear sunny day, and the sun was just rising above the North Shore Mountains as we left Horseshoe Bay. It was a beautiful morning.

The captain did his on-board announcements and said, "We'll be heading into the fog soon, and we will be blowing the horn frequently. Enjoy your last five minutes of sunshine." I thought to myself, 'What fog?' And then I went back outside and witnessed this:


The captain was right. We were completely blanketed by the fog within a few minutes. I could not see anything but absolute whiteness. An elderly couple near me didn't hear what the captain had said about the fog, and they started complaining about how awful it was that BC Ferries had covered the windows so that no one could see outside. They didn't realize that they WERE seeing out the windows, and that outside was just all white. And true to the captain's word, they did blow the horn frequently. They blew it every five minutes, since the fog was so thick.

I became bored since there was nothing to look at outside. Therefore, I decided to eat my second breakfast of the day. It was a bit greasy and I felt sick afterwards.


I arrived in Nanaimo a bit after noon. The fog had diffused the normally harsh mid-day sunlight, making it feel more like the morning sun.


3 comments:

  1. Why were you in Nanaimo? I like the top two pics very much too...and prefer the second one just a tiny bit more.

    And second breakfast? Haha you never learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Nanaimo for work..just 2 shifts there!

    ReplyDelete