Thursday, February 3, 2011

33: GASTOWN FOODIES


I spent the morning and early afternoon with Giosy, and we tried two restaurants neither of us had been to before: Cafe Medina for breakfast, and Meat and Bread for lunch.  Cafe Medina had a nice, cozy atmosphere, and I had the Fricassé, which had fried eggs, braised short ribs, carmelized onions, arugula,  potatoes, and cheese in a skillet. Afterwards we shared a waffle with dark chocolate. The food was good, but I wasn't really blown away.

Having fun by our favourite alley


We wandered around Gastown and downtown for a bit before hitting up Meat & Bread for lunch.


I loved it! They only have four sandwiches on the menu, but they do those sandwiches very well. I loved everything about it - the food, the decor, the clientele, the manly atmosphere.

Giosy and I split a porchetta sandwich and a hot wing chicken sandwich.

Porchetta sandwich



I also had a little dessert afterwards - the people sitting next to me offered it to me since they saw me eyeing it as they were getting up to leave. It was untouched, and they seemed like clean people, so I accepted and enjoyed the ice cream sandwich with bacon bits!

2 comments:

  1. I had so much fun with you today! Especially in discovering our favourite alley:P I'm a bit surprised that none of the Cafe Medina food pics made it on your blog, but I do see that your businessman hubby is in the last pic. Plus the Sambal photo looks like an album cover/back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Meat and Bread (and the manly men there ;) )

    photos of Giosy are so cute!

    ReplyDelete