Saturday, May 28, 2011

138: BROTHER DOWN!

It's funny, because I don't particularly love Sam Roberts (I don't even really listen to his music except for what's on the radio), but this was my third time seeing him in concert.  He blows me away every time I see him perform, because he is just amazing live. Way better than the studio versions of the songs. I think this may be my favourite concert of the year so far.

We were lucky, since the weather originally called for rain but ended up being sunny. The venue was Malkin Bowl in Stanley Park, which was a beautiful setting for an outdoor concert. Rae and I had one and a half porchetta sandwiches each at Meat and Bread (very drool worthy) before the show, and by the time we got to Malkin Bowl, people were set up on the grass with their blankets. We made a beeline to the stage and situated ourselves at a prime viewing spot for the rest of the night. It was an all ages show, so we were of course surrounded by teenagers. There was one teenaged boy in particular who had such dirty, dirty hands...I was so worried that he would touch my clothes during the concert because he was right behind me, but thankfully he moved to the side. They were the dirtiest hands I have ever seen - the dirt was stuck even in the creases of his hands! I shudder just thinking about it.

What I loved about Sam Roberts was how he kept smiling as he sang, as if he was really enjoying himself. And at the end, the band came out for not one, but TWO encores! It was great. They played for almost two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment