Tuesday, May 31, 2011

139: PUMPED UP KICKS

It was my day off, and I got word from The Peak radio station that there was going to be a secret show by Foster the People (If you don't know who they are, you will probably recognize this song). It was secret in that The Peak announced the time of the show just yesterday (1pm), and the location was announced two hours before the show was about to start.

I had a laser eye surgery consultation in the morning, and I finished right at 11am, the time they were to announce the location. I was expecting the show to be somewhere downtown, since last year's secret show was held in front of a restaurant in Yaletown. But when I checked my twitter, it said the concert was going to be held at the radio station balcony, which was only a block away from the laser eye surgery centre! Lucky me, no need to commute at all.

I decided I would eat at Memphis Blues since it was just down the street. I came in just as they opened, so the girl working there was still pulling the pork. "Try a sample, this is the freshest pulled pork you'll have!" she said. It was some good pulled pork, so I ordered the pulled pork sandwich. It was love at first bite. I inhaled it and then walked the block down to the radio station.

Foster the People are playing a sold out show tonight, so it was nice I could catch them live for free. Unfortunately, it started to rain right before the show started, so I had to lose my spot on the sidewalk and found some cover by the entrance of an apartment building instead (which happens to be the apartment my friend lives in, but he was at work). Despite the rain, there were still a few hundred people who showed up. The band played a short acoustic set of four songs. They were good. Based on what I heard, I would gladly have paid to attend their live show tonight! Even if it was just for Pumped Up Kicks.

It's too bad they were way up on the balcony though. It's good I brought my brother's zoom lens, since otherwise they would have just been little specks in my pictures (you can see in the picture below how tiny the people standing on the balcony are).


1 comment:

  1. nice spontaneity :) when are you getting laser eye surgery?

    ReplyDelete