Friday, January 22, 2010

22: TRYING TO FIND SOME BEAUTY


In the concrete strip malls of Whalley. Not very successful, because all I saw during my lunch break were trucks, cars, parking lots, fast food drive throughs, all grey grey grey. Some colorful bums, but I did not try to take pictures of them.

Customer of the day: "How long do I have to wait? 15 minutes? I can't wait that long, I really need to get home right away so I can watch the Haiti telethon. I need the painkillers...hmm but I want to watch the telethon so I will come back tomorrow!" What priorities.

I watched the telethon. Seeing the Haitians being pulled out from underneath the rubble even up to eight days after the earthquake, as well as all the injured people lying on bedsheets on the dirty floors, really struck me. I have not been keeping up with the news this week, and the only pictures I had seen were from the newspaper on the first two days of the earthquake. To me, those pictures did not convey the devastation of the country the way these Andersoon Cooper-hosted videos did. I think if I watched the news and CNN everyday I would be such a sad / paranoid person because there is so much death, destruction, and violence in this world.

The Canadian government matches donations, at http://www.canadaforhaiti.com/Forms/Donate.aspx

3 comments:

  1. It's really difficult watching things like that...and the people in Haiti have struggled so much over the years. Events like this really make us appreciate what is truly important in life, and everything we have to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the both of you. I think it's important to be well-informed of current events, but not to the extent that matches the media's overwhelming coverage of said events.

    And we do find beauty amidst these natural disasters. The public outpour of help has really impressed me and exceeded my expectations of the strength of the human spirit. It's just so sad that Haiti is situated in such a volatile area, geographically and socially...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for bringing more awareness to this, Belle. i was doing a bit of research last night, to see which organization to donate to, and I was quite pleased to find out that our Canadian government will match up to $50 million.

    I hope people will be as generous as they can be, even if it means simply reminding others that the issue is still prevalent a week or months later.

    ReplyDelete