Thursday, April 21, 2011

106: JOHN VANDERSLICE @ MEDIA CLUB


I had never heard of this John Vanderslice until I volunteered to take pictures for his concert, but I walked away from the show as a fan.  It was my first concert alone - doors opened at 8pm, so I arrived at 9pm and was told by the people working there that the main act wouldn't start until 10:30! I walked in and awkwardly stood in the middle of the room (it was an intimate show) until finally I eyeballed an empty seat and plopped down. I chatted up the guy next to me since he was also on his own, and it turns out he is doing his masters in BOTANY. I was intrigued, because Evy and I had just been talking during our hike to Admiralty Point about how we wished we could identify the different plants and trees in the park!

When the show finally started, I found out how audience participation plays a big part at John Vanderslice's shows. Every few songs, he would call out someone's name and have them come up to the stage to sing with him (his website invites his fans to do this and to contact him regarding what song they want to perform with him). One guy even brought a tiny piano and played the solo to a song. Then near the end, John went off the stage and into the middle of the room, and had everyone form a big circle around him as he performed on the floor. It was cool. I was meaning to leave early, since I was tired and sick and had work the next day, but he was so good that I stayed until he finished at about midnight.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Can't wait for the next concert. Taking concert pictures is hard work though - I feel like I need a better lens!

No comments:

Post a Comment