Sunday, April 10, 2011

95: MENTAL, MORAL, AND MUSICAL BREAKDOWN

Naked + Famous
Went to the Commodore to see Foals, a band Phoebe had highly recommended for me to see, even though I didn't really know their songs. It was a very entertaining night indeed. It started off with the opening acts The Naked and Famous (love their songs) and Freelance Whales.

Freelance Whales
Then 11pm came along, and Foals started their set. The lead singer Yannis was so crazy.

He kept stage diving and crowd surfing. He threw water bottles, drum sticks, and microphone stands at the crowd. He climbed the speakers like a little monkey, then, after a few minutes, jumped all the way down to the ground, all the while with his guitar in hand.

There was a spit war between him and the other guitarist. He climbed the amps multiple times and the roadie had to hold up the amps from behind so they wouldn't fall over. Poor roadie kept having to fix all the wires and microphone stands and extra guitars that Yannis was throwing around and knocking over. Yannis even got the security guard all tangled up in the wires as he recklessly strode around the stage, whipping the mike stand and the cord around everywhere. There were times when I had my hands up to protect my head because I thought he was going to throw things at me.

He jumped into the crowd at stage right, and slowly, slowly, he crowd surfed towards me.


I took this next picture, and then, before I knew it, his foot was in my face, and he was on top of me.


I tried so hard to get his feet away from me that my bandaid came off my wrist. Unfortunately, I was surrounded by girls, and Yannis almost fell to the ground because we couldn't hold him up. Luckily for him, he was already close to the barricades at the front, so he was able to fall gracefully into the arms of the security guard, who helped him back up to the stage.

All in all, although I feared for my safety, it was a great show. Entertaining to say the least. The band tweeted afterwards that the concert was a "mental, moral, and musical breakdown. was ffffun." It was definitely fun, and they sounded great, even with all the craziness. I'm glad Phoebe convinced me that it would be worth it to go.

2 comments: