Tuesday, April 5, 2011

90: THOUGHTS ON DRIVING

Sometimes, I have long drives on the highway to go to work. I am usually good at keeping my mind clear, but some recent events have made me worry a lot more about my mortality. I find that during these highway drives, my thoughts are now more into the territory of "I wonder what would happen if I got into an accident today. Would I die if I crash my car against this barrier? What would my funeral be like? Who would visit me at the hospital and go to my funeral? What would I do if I got paralyzed from a car accident? If I lost control of my car, would I cause a 5 car pile up?"

These thoughts go around and around in my head as I drive, and it's even worse when it's dark and rainy. On those nights, my mind just tells me, "I'm going to get into an accident tonight. Please don't die. I can't see the lines. I'm going to hit a car. I'm going to kill someone. Accident. Death. I'm only 24. I can't die yet." I can't stop thinking these things, and I drive with a pit at the bottom of my stomach. My fears of driving had disappeared after I got used to driving all over the lower mainland for work,  but they have reemerged and are now more vivid than ever. I imagine myself in an accident whenever I'm on the highway. What can I do to stop this?

I miss the days when all I thought about was whether I wanted to sing along to Taylor Swift or not.

5 comments:

  1. It's only natural to have these thoughts after everything you've heard the past month. First, start listening to happier music (i.e. NOT Arcade Fire's "Funeral" CD because that made you have bad dreams!) and try to consciously block out these thoughts while you are driving by instead focusing on the road, your mirrors as you SHOULD be, or, if you must think of something, think of Sicily or something happy! I learned in psych class that the reason there are more plane crashes soon after one is publicized is because some pilots have this going through their mind and kind of subconsciously direct their actions towards their own demise. So please try to stop thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS And I think within a couple of weeks these thoughts will start going away anyway...eventually life will be normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, constant negative thoughts will attract that event to happen! Stop it now! You know when you're really confident that something is going to happen, it usually does, so divert your thoughts! Plus you're not paying attention to the road when you start daydreaming...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not alone. I've been having the same thoughts too after those recent events. But, just go slow (esp. when dark and rainy), and stay alert, and continue to let Taylor Swift soothe you. :) There is only so much we can do... with driving, or with anything else.

    (Maybe for one, don't take photos while driving. :) although I've done it myself...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments guys. I swear, I take these driving photos safely. Point and shoot blindly!

    I will try not to think about it, but it's hard not to when it's a long drive. Driving in the city isn't too bad because there are traffic lights and pedestrians and cyclists to think about, but the highway doesn't use up as much of my attention. I think I need to find some new and better music to sing along to. Maybe I'll download some Katy Perry. HAH!

    ReplyDelete