Thursday, October 27, 2011

Laser Eye Surgery


I got PRK done on my eyes with Dr Lin at Pacific Laser Eye Centre. I did NO research at all before booking this appointment; after all, I knew at least five people who had done it with him and they all raved about how he is the best laser eye surgeon in Vancouver, so I decided to just go ahead and do it with him. (Later on I found out that there were other places I could have done it at for $2000 less... but I guess money is dispensable whereas my eyes aren't).

There are two kinds of laser eye surgery available: PRK and Lasik. Lasik is the one where they cut a flap open in your eye - it has a much faster recovery rate, but it's less safe long term because there is always the chance of the flap coming back open. Dr Lin recommended PRK for me since I am young and active. In PRK, they shave off part of your cornea. Recovery takes longer, but I had the vacation time anyway.

So I was in the surgery room, and looking at the green light...but Dr Lin kept yelling at me! "Hey girl, why aren't you looking at the green light? Focus on the light! What's wrong with you, why aren't you looking? You're supposed to be a simple case, but you're making it complicated! Just look at that green light!"  "I'm trying," I answered. "But everytime I barked at you, you would look at the green light! That means you're just not focusing," he replied. Needless to say, that one eye took a pretty long time. Not to mention there was the smell of my burning corneas... good thing people had warned about that beforehand!

Overall it wasn't as bad as I expected. Plus I got to wear these big dorky sunglasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment