Sunday, June 20, 2010

172: BICYCLE WHEEL

Back wheel of my old mountain bike, before heading off to search for a new bicycle.

Today, I biked to the Bike Doctor on Broadway and Quebec to buy a brand new bike!! I had been researching upright city bikes for the past week and had narrowed it down to the Pashley, Batavus, Electra, and Norco brands. Unfortunately the good quality bikes (Pashley, Batavus) were also the most expensive, and although I was tempted to spend the $1500 on the beautiful Pashley Princess, I just couldn't do it since I don't know how much I will be biking in the future.

I bought the Norco City Glide instead, since it gave me the most value for my money - it had all the features I wanted and cost under a grand. Pictures to come when I pick it up from the bike shop in a few days. It is mint green, with white fenders and white rear rack, a wicker basket, chain guard, and 8 speed internal gear hub. I'm not too crazy on the colour, but it was $600 cheaper than the British and Dutch bikes.

However, one day I WILL buy you, Pashley Princess with your fancy Brooks saddle...

The Pashley Princess: Hand-built by the British for the past 100 years in Stratford-upon-Avon. "The classiest bike we sell", according to the guy at Raincity Bikes.

Check out bicycle rush hour in the Netherlands. It's pretty crazy. You barely see any cars!

3 comments:

  1. i wonder what you'll name your bike. or whether you'll name her at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe she'll want to ride him instead?

    I met the he/she pt today, he/she was quite distressed and yelled at 2 of my staff before they called me down to take care of him/her.

    And there's more bikes in that video than in a biking competition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I noticed on your tags list, Nanaimo has gotten as big as Travel!

    ReplyDelete